New York City is the largest city in the United States and one of the world's major global cities. New York City is a center for business, finance, fashion, medicine, entertainment, media and culture, with an extraordinary collection of museums, galleries and performance spaces. It is also home to the headquarters of the United Nations and to some of the world's most famous skyscrapers.
The Questions :
Were is your guest house located?
Located in a Cosmopolitan residential area; we are between 101 & 102 Street on Lexington Avenue in Manhattan. We are in a very favourable residential neighbourhood and minutes walk from many Museums, Boutique Shopping, Central Park, and Restaurants. We are a 8 minute subway ride to midtown and a healthy walk (20-25 minutes).
How far are you from all the Sightseeing areas of New York or Midtown Manhattan?
One thing for first time visitors to note is that sightseeing in New York is not central. Sightseeing is all over Manhattan and classed by area. For instance, in our area are all the Major Museums (list below). One thing to keep in mind is that no matter where you stay you should be close to a subway station. This makes seeing all that New York has to offer easy.
Our area's accessibility to all points of Manhattan; makes it one of New York's most desirable residential neighborhoods. What sets the Upper East apart from all other areas is its' closeness to Madison Avenue & Park Avenue.
Madison Avenue is famously known as the world's premier shopping district for the finest food, opulent merchandise, luxury lodging and services available anywhere. Between 57th Street and 92nd Street, Madison Avenue is identified as “the fashionable road”. In this area is where most of the very well known fashion designers and upper class hair salons are located. Other areas may have their impressive retail strips, but Madison Avenue is the world's most famous retail address.
Park Avenue, has prominent astounding architectures, as well as great antique and painting galleries. The upper part of Park Avenue (around the 90's) is know for it's wealthy neighbourhood with landmark buildingsOne block over your have the museum mile, with all the major museums as well has Mount Sinai Hospital.
Our townhouse is located In Manhattan, a short walk from all of these areas. We are an 8 minute subway ride from Midtown Manhattan or a 20 - 25 minute walk. If you choose to walk there is great shopping along the way, great sightseeing and places to eat. There is great shopping on 86th street (within walking distance). Here you can find Gap, Banana Republic, Best Buy, Staples, Circuit City, Victoria Secret, Modells etc. On 59th you have the Major malls and brand name stores. The subway is also one block from our building.
Is your area Safe?
Our area is very safe. Some travelers find our area intimidating at first due to the huge mix of culture (White, Black, Spanish, Asian, German - American etc.) that they are not accustomed to. But, that is what you find when visiting New York. I always tell guests; " to find an unsafe neighbourhood in Manhattan you have to really be looking for it, and even then you cannot find it". New York in general is safe and just like your own hometown bad things can occur ANY place. Visitors to New York and our area will probably find it safer than their own hometown.
Why should I choose your guesthouse or area to stay?
Our guests choose our location for several reasons:
1. Midtown is very pricey. Staying at our guesthouse offers a budget accommodation allowing you to spend a little more on shopping or other activities. While at the same time having travel acces to many sights. We are to a degree Anti Times Square; we want our visitors to feel what it is like to live in a real New York City neighbourhood and still be close to everything.
Plus, there is a misconception that Times Square is the center of Manhattan. However, there is no center. All sights are all over the city. Times Square is great if you plan on doing many Broadway Shows and for a once in a while visit. So spread your wings - do not be afraid to vist the Upper East, Upper West, Midtown, Lower East, East Village, West Village, Harlem, Brooklyn, Queens etc.
2. Many guests (visiting NYC for the first time) look at a map of NYC and assume that it is huge and difficult to get around. It is actually the opposite. We walk everywhere and enjoy doing so. On every street there are lots to see and changes drastic. As one if not the safest cities in the USA; in NYC you will find something to do everywhere you go. A good reference point to remember is 20 blocks in NYC equals one mile.
3. Our guests want to see what it is like to have that feeling that they are "living" like a New Yorker. Unlike most hotels one of the favourite things for our guests to do is to sit on our stoop and watch the neighbourhood go by.
4. In our area there are a lot of ethnic (Spanish, Italian, Turkish, American etc.) restaurants. Several are on our guest favourite list. We are 2 blocks from central park, and 4 blocks from the Museum mile.
5. 2nd avenue below 100th street boasts numerous unique and affordable restaurants. (approx. 5 minute walk) From French, Irish, Germany, American, Italian, Indian restaurants to an assortment of fusion cuisine restaurants. The basics of this area is that it has restaurants and bars as far as the eyes can see. Our favorite thing to do is to walk down this avenue, read the menus posted outside, and when we like something, we dine.
6. There are only two owners who are also the innkeepers of this guesthouse. So we take pride in our building and we take care of our guests. We offer a personable atmosphere, and you have your full privacy.
What is the difference between your establishment and others?
Firstly, do not expect a hotel atmosphere. All units are located at our townhouse. All equipped with private baths and kitchenettes. (Yes! kitchenettes have utensils for cooking). Our units are arguably larger than the average hotel room. It is your fully furnished home away from home!
Either Jonathan or Clement (the owners) check you in, make you feel as comfortable as possible, answer your questions. Be it pertaining to places you want to go, areas you want to see etc. Guest can reach Jonathan & Clement very easily if they need information. They are in the building daily or according to the work load so you can catch them daily. If they are not there, then the housekeeper is there daily as well.
We try to make things as personal as possible. We basically try to offer something unique that you will never find in Manhattan. Thus enhancing your stay in New York. At any one time you will find an array of guests staying at our building. One floor will have French, another Dutch, another British. So diversity, truly makes the atmosphere of our building.
Where are the SuperMarkets?
1. Small mini mart located one building south of 1598 Lexington ave.
2. Major Super markets located on 103 & Lexington Ave. (Associated supermarket) or 96 & Lexington Ave (Associated supermarket)
3. Our favourite is the "Gourmet Garage" located on the corner of 96th & Park Avenue - we go there too many times!
4. Super Fi - 104 and Lexington Avenue
Where are the "take out" food places so I can order in or pick up?
Menus for establishments are placed in your apartment along with the menus for "sit down" restaurants that we love in the area.
Where is there Parking?
If you choose to drive into the city there is free alternate parking on the street or unrestricted parking on the weekend.
There are also 2 parking lots south of our location. Rates vary. You can also use https://iconparkingsystems.com/
It is very very big task to name each restaurant in our area. We are less than 5 minutes from 3rd and 2nd avenues with restaurants and bars galore. We personally enjoy walking down either avenue and going into a restaurant spontaneously.
You have affordable to the most expensive in this area.
We will list a few of our favorites.
El Paso Taqueria:
Located on East 104 and Lexington Avenue. With two branches in El Barrio, El Paso boasts authentic Mexican cuisine prepared by authentic Mexican cooks who know how to stuff a tortilla with rice, beans and taste.(*Guests Favourite)
Lexington Pizza Parlour:
1590 Lexington Ave
(between 101st St & 102nd St)
New York, NY 10029
Apart from being one of our favourite restaurants on the block; our guests frequent this great establishment. Their friendly demeanor and creative approach to their plates make this an addictive place on our block.
Joy Burger Bar(www.joyburgerbar.com)|Corner of 100 & Lexington Avenue (*Guests Favourite)
ABV Wine Bar (www.abvny.com)
1504 Lexington Ave
(between 98th St & 97th St)
Barking Dog (American)
1678 3rd Ave | At 94th St
13611st Ave | Btwn 90th & 91st St
Table d'Hote (French)
44 E 92nd St | Btwn Madison & Park Ave
Ottomanelli New York Grill (Steakhouse)
1424 Lexington Ave | At 93rd St (*Guest Favourite)
1308 Madison Ave | At 93rd St
1402 Lexington Ave | At 92nd St
Corner Cafe & Bakery
1645 3rd Ave | At 92nd St.
1804 Second Avenue
1672 3rd Avenue
300 E. 89th Street
302 E 92nd Street
Cavatappo Wine Bar
1728 2nd Avenue
Tavern on First
1678 1st Avenue
We are not only 2 blocks from Central Park but also find the following in walking distance: -
Museum of New York City
Goethe House New York
1014 5th Avenue (82nd & 83rd)
The Metropolitan Museum of Art
1000 Fifth Avenue (82nd & 83rd)
Museum for German and Austrian Art
1048 5th Avenue (85th & 86th)
1071 5th Avenue (88th & 89th)
National Academy Museum
1083 5th Avenue (89th & 90th)
The Jewish Museum
1109 5th Avenue (92nd & 93rd)
Whitney Museum Of American Art
945 Madison Ave Fl 5 (74th & 75th)
The Americas Society -
680 Park Avenue (68th & 69th)
Park Avenue (70th & 71st)
Colonial Dames Of America
61st Street (1st & York)
Mount Vernon Hotel Museum & Garden
61st Street (1st & York)
Society Of Illustrators Inc.
63rd Street (Park & Lex)
70th Street (5th & Madison)
The Metropolitan Museum of Art Office Annex
E 82nd Street (5th & Madison)
Cooper Hewitt National Design Museum
91st Street (5th & Madison)
Bike Rentals +
1690 2nd Ave
New York, NY 10128
b/t 88th St & 87th St
Pedal Pusher Bicycle Shop
1306 2nd Ave
New York, NY 10065
Jeff’s Bicycles NYC
1400 3rd Ave
New York, NY 10075
Yorkville, Upper East Side